Heading to Switzerland? Make the locals smile in appreciation as you show off your language skills and learn Swiss German. Don’t miss these essential survival phrases.
With that in mind next up in my travel phrase guide series is, Swiss-German!
As you know, I’m a firm believer that learning the local language in any destination is just as important as learning its history.
While we can’t all be polyglots, knowing a few choice phrases makes a load of difference when interacting with locals. Suddenly, their smiles become warmer and their eyes light up when they see you’ve made the effort to learn their language. Plus, it’s so rewarding to be able to converse in another language.
In Switzerland, they speak Swiss German, and that’s something completely different from the German spoken in Germany. Swiss German has its own pronunciation, different words, its own grammar, and most Germans have difficulty understanding it.
While the German-speaking Swiss write standard German, there is no official Swiss German language. The Swiss can speak standard German very well, but to them, it’s a foreign language which they learn in school.
With that in mind, here are 10 super useful Swiss German travel phrases.
- Hello – Grüezi
- My name is … (formal) – I heisse …
My name is … (informal) Mi name isch …
- How are you? (informal) – Wie goots Ihne?
How are you? (formal) – Wie goots?
- Good, thanks and you? (informal) – Dangge, guet, und dir?
Good, thanks and you? (formal) – Dangge, guet, und Ihne?
- Goodbye – (Uf) Widerluege / Tschüss
- See you later – Bis spöter
- Thank you – Merci
- Thank you very much – Merci vilmal
- Enjoy your meal! – En guete
- Yes – Ja / No – Nein
Like it? Pin it for later!
Learning German? Then you’ll love these…
- 13 Common German Mistakes You Make and How to Fix them Immediately
- 50 Amusing German Phrases that will Brighten Your Day
- 27 Hilarious Everyday German Idioms and Expressions
- German Travel Phrase Guide with Pronunciation
Want to know more about learning languages? Start here!
- 14 Top Language Learning Resources You Should Use
- 23 Cool Gift for Language Learners They Will Actually Use and Love
- 11 Life-Changing Reasons Why You Should Learn a Language
- 42 beautiful Inspirational Quotes for Language Learners
- Language learning tips: 11 Polyglots Reveal The Secrets of Their Success
- Top 10 Best Ways to Learn a Language Better and Faster
Over to you!
Which of these Swiss-German phrases is the most useful? What other languages would you like a travel phrase guide for? Are you planning a trip to Zurich?
Let me know using the comments section below or join me on social media to start a conversation.
Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed this post.
Like what you see? Subscribe using the form below to have all of my posts delivered directly to your email.